Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Vigil tonight for teen who died from possible carbon monoxide poisoning

Catherine Jun / The Detroit News
Detroit -- Tonight, Friends and family will honor the life of Mar'Keisha Reed, the 17-year-old who died in her home last week along with her father and two brothers of possible carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas-powered generator.
A candlelight vigil will be held at 5:30 p.m. at Cody High School. Mar'Keisha would have started her senior year there this fall.
"She was the typical student, trying to get through adolescence, and she was making good strides," said John Matthews, school principal. In addition to high school classes, Mar'Keisha was enrolled in Wayne County Community College. A family member said she was headed to Japan on a study abroad trip next month.
She had been awarded a $2,000 scholarship to attend John Casablancas Modeling and Acting Training School, her mother, Marquetta Owens, said.
Another vigil will be held Wednesday at Advanced Technology Academy, where DeMarco Owens, 12, and DeMonte Owens, 6, attended school. This fall, the two would have entered sixth and second grade, respectively, family said.
On Wednesday, the family's power was shut off, prompting the family to place a gas-powered generator in the basement to power medical equipment and air conditioners.
DTE Energy acknowledged receiving notice that the father, Vaughn Reed, had filed for bankruptcy, which would have forestalled the shut off. But confusion over the address led to the shutoff.
A funeral service for the victims, including the father, is scheduled 10 a.m. Saturday at New Providence Baptist Church in Detroit. Public visitation will be held at the same location from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. (313) 222-2019