Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Police: Man Dies From CO Poisoning

Investigators Say Dead Raccoon Blocked Ventilation In Furnace

POSTED: Tuesday, October 27, 2009
UPDATED: 8:04 pm EDT October 27, 2009

TROY, Mich. -- A 92-year-old man died from carbon monoxide poisoning sometime over the weekend and a wild animal is to blame, Troy police said.
Officers were sent Monday to the home of Frederick William Braga on Binbrooke Street after a friend called police to say Braga had not shown up for a brunch meeting.
Police said officers and paramedics detected a strong odor in the house and a black residue throughout the home.
Braga was found dead in his basement, police said.
City investigators said they found a dead raccoon in the home's furnace, which likely blocked exhaust vapors from leaving through a vent pipe. Investigators said the blockage caused a build up of carbon monoxide in the home.
An autopsy Tuesday confirmed that Braga had died from CO poisoning.
Police said Braga was last seen alive Saturday evening by a neighbor, who said the man doesn't have family in the area.
Police said no carbon monoxide or smoke detectors were found in Braga's home.

Follow link for chimney safety video: