Thursday, February 3, 2011

Oceana County mother, three children treated for carbon monoxide poisoning

OCEANA COUNTY — Three children and their mother were taken to a local hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning early Wednesday after authorities were called to the home.

Hart Area Fire Department officials responded to the mobile home at 5800 W. Seventh in Mears just after 7:30 a.m. after the mother called 911 about a possible gas leak.

Authorities arrived to the home to find two young children under the age of 3 and a teenager who all complained of feeling ill for the past several days, a fire official said. The mother was also apparently sick, the official said.

Using a carbon monoxide detector, fire authorities discovered high levels of the gas in the home.

Hart Area Assistant Fire Chief Terry Haynor took the family to Lakeshore Hospital in Shelby for treatment.