Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tips to prevent fires and carbon monoxide poisoning

Baltimore has seen a number of lost lives due to fire and carbon monoxide poisonings this year and state and local officials are passing along tips in hopes of preventing anymore this winter.

Governor Martin O’Malley and Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake joined fire officials this week to promote safety during the winter months when fires are more common.

Holiday decorations and unsafe home heating are fire hazards this time of year. Generators and other appliances can also cause carbon monoxide poisoning if unmonitored, the officials said.