Thursday, October 7, 2010

Tips To Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Poorly Maintained or Malfunctioning Heating Systems Are Often to Blame

Contact: Guillermo Cole, Health Department
412-578-8004 office

As another heating season begins, the Allegheny County Health Department is joining with the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Coalition of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County to remind residents about the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is the by-product of incomplete combustion of a fuel. Hundreds die each year nationwide from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, but most deaths could be prevented through greater awareness and education.