Here are a few tips from several metro Detroit police departments and the Block Watch program on how you can protect against home invasions:
• Keep all of your home's doors and windows and the garage door locked.
• Keep your vehicles in the driveway locked, too, because thieves have been known to break into autos to get to garage-door openers.
• When away, leave a light on inside or outdoor lights on.
• Consider installing a burglar alarm. If you have one, make sure it is set each night.
• If one isn't established already, encourage neighbors to create a Block Watch group to help keep an eye on one another's properties -- especially when someone is out of town.