Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A fire broke out over the weekend, destroying a Marquette County home

POWELL TWP. -- A fire late Saturday night leaves a Marquette County family homeless.
According to the Powell Township Fire Department, the fire broke out at the home of a volunteer fire department member.
Firefighters were called out shortly after 11 p.m. Saturday to the home of Larry Dionne at 506 Schenk Road. They stayed on the scene until after 5 a.m. Sunday to ensure that the blaze did not rekindle.
Dionne, his wife, one-year-old daughter, and a family friend, who had been staying with the family since returning from a tour in Iraq, escaped without injury.
The uninsured home is considered a total loss, and authorities believe that the blaze is electrical in nature.
To assist the family, a spaghetti dinner is being held at the Powell Township Fire Hall Wednesday Night from 5 to 7 p.m.http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=337839