Here's an article that exemplifies the reasons to have a home fire security system.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
By John S. Hausman
MUSKEGON COUNTY -- Unattended candles, lit because of windstorm-caused power outages, were believed to be the cause of two different Muskegon County house fires Monday night that did extensive damage.
The first was reported at 7:14 p.m. at 2533 Scenic in Fruitland Township, a one-story wood-frame house overlooking Lake Michigan.
Firefighters from the White Lake Fire Authority, assisted by the Muskegon Township Fire Department, fought the blaze. No dollar estimate of damage was available Tuesday, but the small home's structure appeared to be a total loss while some of its contents might be salvageable, White Lake Fire Marshal Ben Novak said.
The cause appeared to be accidental, Novak said. "We're leaning toward improper candle usage," he said. "The power's out, everybody's using candles to do their thing, and sometimes proper precautions aren't taken."
The homeowner apparently was trying to get a generator started when a candle somehow started a fire, Novak said.
A few hours later, a candle left burning with nobody home was the probable cause of a fire that caused extensive damage to a Muskegon Township house, fire officials believe.
Muskegon Township Fire Chief David Glotzbach estimated the two-story wood-frame home at 1127 Dykstra sustained some $90,000 in damage. The fire was confined to two rooms, but heat and smoke caused damage throughout the residence, Glotzbach said.
The fire was reported at 11:22 p.m. Monday, and Muskegon Township firefighters, assisted by the North Muskegon Fire Department, were on the scene until 1:06 a.m. Tuesday. No one was hurt. The home was insured.
Glotzbach said power was out because of high winds, and the male homeowner, who lives alone, had left the house with some candles burning. When the man returned home shortly after 11 p.m., the fire had started.
Photo * Kendra Stanley-Mills
Muskegon Township Deputy Fire Chief Bob Grabinski works at the scene of Monday night's fire at 2533 Scenic in Fruitland Township. A fire started in the bathroom of the home which sits on Lake Michigan. Power was out in the area when the fire started. White Lake Fire Authority and Muskegon Township Fire along with DTE Energy responded to the scene.
A DTE Energy employee, Lance Johnson, works at the scene of Monday night's fire at 2533 Scenic in Fruitland Township. A fire started in the bathroom of the home which sits on Lake Michigan. Power was out in the area when the fire started. White Lake Fire Authority and Muskegon Township Fire responded to the scene.