Mark Hornbeck / Detroit News Lansing Bureau
LANSING -- A Michigan law requiring carbon monoxide alarms to be installed in new homes will take effect Monday and will be enforceable starting Dec. 1.
The Overbeck family, whose parents died from carbon monoxide poisoning in their Northern Michigan retirement home six years ago, were at the State Capitol today for Gov. Jennifer Granholm's ceremonial signing of the legislation.
A second law also signed by the governor will require a carbon monoxide alarm in every hotel room in the state.